Modified bitumen systems combine the advantages of built-up roofing with the ease of application of a single-ply system. Bitumen is reinforced with fibreglass or polyester for added durability, and manufactured into sheets or rolls for ease of application. One, two (most common), or 2ply ply-systems are available.
The advantages of these systems are:
- Durable in extreme weather conditions
- Easy to repair
- Come in rolls for ease of application
- Factory-manufactured to ensure quality control
- Expand or contract with the movement of the building
- Variety of surfaces that resist oxidation and damage from UV rays.
Built-up roofing systems (BUR) consist of layers or plies of roofing felts, with asphalt or bitumen applied between each layer. Built-up roofing is one of the oldest and most durable systems available. Its multiple layers provide extra protection and perform well in extreme weather conditions. Built-up roofs are especially resistant to damage from wind, hail and snow.
They are easy to repair and ideally suited for applications requiring a high level of redundancy. Surfacing materials can be coated with paint or other reflective materials to reduce the effects of UV radiation and reduce cooling and heating costs for your building
Single-ply roofing systems are composed of insulation, a single-ply membrane, flashings, and adhesive. TPO, EPDM, and PVC are the three most common types of single-ply membrane systems. Since they consist only of a single layer of roofing over insulation, these popular systems are lightweight, making them an ideal choice for new or retro-roofs.
TPO (ThermoPlastic Olefin) roofing systems combine the long-term durability of rubber with the security of hot air welded seams. TPO’s advantages include:
- The most environmentally friendly of the single-ply systems
- Produce no dioxins or chlorine
- Come in varying thicknesses and roll widths to meet your specific requirements.
EPDM (Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer) is a stable roofing alternative that withstands extremes of temperature and expands and contracts with the building. Key advantages are:
- Minimal maintenance
- Resistant to UV radiation and ozone
- Proven effective for more than 30 years.
PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride) Roofing Systems are among the easiest single-ply roofing membranes to install and heat-weld together. Among the advantages PVC systems provide:
- Ability to resist various chemical effluents
- Superior resistance to punctures and tears
- Especially suited for roofs that are exposed to concentrations of grease, oils and many kinds of fuels
- Ideal in areas where acid rain or other forms of acidic outflow is a problem.
Call us today!
Tel: (416) 787-4010
CONTACT US - ON-LINE EMAIL FORM